Best Memorial Day Quotes are a time to remember and honour every soldier who sacrificed their lives for our country. There are many ways to do this, but one of the most impactful is reading or sharing Memorial Day quotes and sayings. These patriotic quotes and sayings about Memorial Day help to remind us of the men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice and the reasons why we are free today. Here are some best Famous Memorial Day quotes 2023 to share with your friends and family.
Memorial Day Quotes
For many people, this Memorial Day is a chance to reflect on the sacrifices made by soldiers and their families. You can use many patriotic memorial day images sayings to show support for the United States military. Here are some of the most famous quotes about memorial day 2023:-
- “Honor to the Soldier, and Sailor everywhere, who bravely bears his country’s cause. Honor also to the citizen who cares for his brother in the field, and serves, as best he can, the same cause—honor to him, less only than to him, who braves, for the common good, the storms of heaven and the storms of battle.”—Abraham Lincoln
- “Ceremonies are important. But our gratitude has to be more than visits to the troops and once-a-year Memorial Day ceremonies. We honor the dead best by treating the living well.”—Jennifer M. Granholm
- No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.
- Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened.
- “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”
- “And I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free. And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.”
- “Whenever the world makes you cynical; whenever you seek true humility and true selflessness, look to a veteran.”
- “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.”
- “On Memorial Day, we honor those that have fought for the American concept. Men and women that have sacrificed so much in order to defend the ideals that have made us a great nation.”
- “True patriotism is not manifested in short, frenzied bursts of emotion. It is the tranquil, steady dedication of a lifetime.”
- “Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world. A veteran does not have that problem.”
- “Although no sculptured marble should rise to their memory, nor engraved stone bear record of their deeds, yet will their remembrance be as lasting as the land they honored.”
- “The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.”
- Heroes never die. They live on forever in the hearts and minds of those who would follow in their footsteps.
- Veterans are a symbol of what makes our nation great, and we must never forget all they have done to ensure our freedom.
- Heroism doesn’t always happen in a burst of glory. Sometimes small triumphs and large hearts change the course of history.
- It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.
- I believe our flag is more than just cloth and ink. It is a universally recognized symbol that stands for liberty, and freedom. It is the history of our nation, and it’s marked by the blood of those who died defending it.
- Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them.
- No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation.
- Never throughout history has a man who lived a life of ease left a name worth remembering.
- Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live taking the form of readiness to die.
- “So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart, I shall say that life is good.”—Helen Keller
- “A battle lost or won is easily described, understood, and appreciated, but the moral growth of a great nation requires reflection, as well as observation, to appreciate it.”—Frederick Douglass
- “I had reasoned this out in my mind: There was one of two things I had a right to—liberty or death. If I could not have one, I would have the other.”—Harriet Tubman
- “True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost.”—Arthur Ashe
- “Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them.”—Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “This is the day we pay homage to all those who didn’t come home. This is not Veterans Day, it’s not a celebration; it is a day of solemn contemplation over the cost of freedom.”—Tamra Bolton.
- “Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.”—Adlai Stevenson II
- “No duty is more urgent than that of returning thanks.”—St. Ambrose
- “The willingness of America’s veterans to sacrifice for our country has earned them our lasting gratitude.” —Jeff Miller
- “There is nothing nobler than risking your life for your country.” —Nick Lampson
- “There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America.” —William J. Clinton
- “No man is entitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation.” —General Douglas MacArthur.
- “America without her soldiers would be like God without His angels.” –Claudia Pemberton
- “I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.” –Nathan Hale
- “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter the words, but to live by them.” –John F. Kennedy
- “A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.” –Bob Dylan
- “The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.” –Thucydides
- “Liberty is never unalienable; it must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes. Of all the so-called natural human rights that have ever been invented, liberty is least likely to be cheap and is never free of cost.” –Robert A. Heinlein
- “Their remembrance be as lasting as the land they honored.” –Daniel Webster
- In observance of Memorial Day 2019, the speaker of the house said, “On this day of remembrance, we once again renew our pledge: that just as the military leaves no one behind on the battlefield, we must leave no veteran behind when they come home.”
- In his poem “Memorial Day,” the Yale-educated literary figure wrote, “Who kept the faith and fought the fight; The glory theirs, the duty ours.”
- In his book Notes of a Native Son, the novelist, playwright, and activist wrote, “I love America more than any other country in this world, and exactly, for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.”
Patriotic Memorial Day Quotes and Sayings
Memorial Day Patriotic Saying0s and Quotes is a good way to remember the people who died while serving in the military. The day initially set out to honour American Civil War veterans has since been expanded into a Memorial Day celebration for all those who died in service of their country. It is now considered one of America’s most widely recognized holidays. It offers us an opportunity to pause our daily lives briefly to remember what this great nation stands tall and proud about: its people! Flags are flown at half-staff from dawn until noon, and many people take part in a moment of silence at 3:00 p.m. (local time).
“Freedom isn’t free.”
“All gave some, some gave all.”
“United we stand, divided we fall.”
“Home of the free, because of the brave.”
“God bless America.”
“Support our troops.”
“Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened.” — Billy Graham
“Without heroes, we are all plain people, and don’t know how far we can go.” — Bernard Malamud
“Our nation owes a debt to its fallen heroes that we can never fully repay.” — Barack Obama
“How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes.” — Maya Angelou
“The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage.” — Thucydides
“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” — Mark Twain
“Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be.” — Douglas MacArthur
Remembrance Memorial Day Quotes 2023 is a great way to give importance who have paid the ultimate price; let us not forget that many service members return home with physical and emotional scars. It’s also a time to honour those who have served, are serving, and will serve in the future.
The Department of Veterans Affairs supports veterans and their families, but more can be done. In 2023, let us all pledge to do better for our veterans and work together to provide them with the care they need and deserve. We hope they remind you why we celebrate this day each year and bring you closer to the people who mean so much to us.